Friday, July 11, 2008

Dogs of War is out and Hellboy2


I posted this piece I did some time ago but I just went to a Borders today and saw that the book is out for sale. Go to my my website to see another piece that I did for the interior of the book. On a side note,I heard the artist who made the cover of this book is devilishly attractive as well as talented. (irony) Go buy it. :)

Also:

I just saw Hellboy 2 and I have to say that it kinda sucked.

Its not a terrible film by any measure. In fact the aesthetics were amazing. The art direction, the colors and the many cool shots were nice but much like a pretty girl with no brains or character Hellboy 2 was as shallow as a kiddie pool. It had many of the same things I didn't like about the first film only now it was louder and has prettier effects and art direction. Some parts were good with the occasionally funny chuckle out loud scene here and there but as a whole (minus the visuals) it was not good. It was OK-but not good.

In many ways this film is more of what I expect from Del Toro's films. A cool concept with great visuals and scenes but poor story cohesion and emotional connection with characters (and yes that includes Pans Labyrinth & Devils Backbone). If I had to describe Del Toro as a director I'd say he is becoming a lot like the Terry Gilliam of mexico which is actually a good thing only his films lack that little emotional connection that some of Gilliam's earlier films had. I'd also like to note that I did NOT have very high hopes for this film to begin with but I can also say I had the same low expectations for both Iron Man and the new Hulk films and yet I was surprisingly entertained by both of those. Its too bad this film didn't do the same. I now have absolutely no hopes for the up and coming Hobbit film if Del Toro is to continue to direct it. Go ahead and judge the movie for yourself but don't expect much past the prettiness of it. I give it 2 and a half or maybe a generous 3 stars out of 5.

Heres hoping Nolan's Dark Knight delivers.

More ART related updates coming soon.

-E

No comments: